Boost Your Immune System With Juice
The first signs of a cold are starting to come on, you know the ones, sore throat, runny nose, possibly a fever….you need to get a cold pressed juice into you, pronto!
What was it that the famous Hippocrates once said? “Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food” - never a truer word has been spoken.
Fruits and vegetables are a great way of adding the vitamins, nutrients and minerals needed in your diet to achieve optimal health, however most people find it difficult to consume the amount that you need to keep your immune system firing on all cylinders, but modern juice recipes a go to keep your immune system in tip top shape.
Juice Recipes for Immunity:
'Better than a Flu Shot' Green Juice
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 granny smith apples
- 2 limes
- 1/2 bunch of kale
- 1/4 bunch of parsley
- 1/4 bunch of mint
- 1 knob of ginger
There are a HUGE amount of vitamins and minerals in this juice that your immune system will love. All in one glass! Green vegetables help to boost your overall immunity so this juice will not only benefit you when you feel a cold coming on but also if you are feeling a little under the weather.
'The Cold Buster' Juice
- 1 lemon
- 1-4 cloves of garlic (depending on how tough you are!)
- 1 knob of ginger
- Sprinkle of cayenne pepper on top
This one certainly packs a punch! You can adjust the quantities of garlic and ginger to get to your desired intensity but if you can handle it the way it is you’ll be up and at ‘em in no time! If you can’t stomach it add an orange to the mix, it will sweeten it up and add extra Vitamin C.
Cold Killing OJ Juice
- 4 oranges
- 1 lemon
- 3 carrots
- 1/4 of pineapple
- 1 knob of ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
This zingy juice is packed full of the vitamins and minerals needed to ward off a cold! Vitamin C found in oranges, lemon and pineapple will help support your immune system and reduce the length and severity of your cold, ginger is full to the brim with vitamins A, C, E as well as a myriad of other nutrients which have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and garlic has been used for thousands of years to help fight disease as it contains allicin which wards off infection and bacteria!
Top 10 Immune Boosters
1. Pineapple - Jam packed with B group vitamins including thiamine (B1) and B6, which are vital for energy and nerve function. Pineapples also contain the enzyme bromelain, renowned for aiding protein digestion which allows your body to utilise immune boosting amino acids effectively.
2. Ginger - Studies have shown that ginger has potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It helps to boost immune function and combat cellular damage. This stomach friendly spice stimulates digestion and bowel function, while helping to relieve bloating, cramping and nausea.
3. Garlic – Think of garlic as an immune system warrior. Garlic contains allicin , ajoene and thiosulfinates — three powerful compounds that help the body prevent and fight infections.
4. Carrots - Contain loads of beta carotene, which is a powerful phytonutrient that boosts the immune system’s production of infection-fighting natural killer cells and T cells. These cells are healthy and attack and kill off disease-ridden microbes.
5. Kiwi Fruit – It’s a great natural source of vitamin E which is a key nutrient for your immune system. Vitamin E helps protect your body from viral and bacterial infections.
6. Turmeric - Curcumin is the active ingredient in Turmeric, responsible for the distinct yellow colouring and the impressive list of health properties. Rich in manganese, zinc, B group vitamins and iron it has been shown repeatedly to be a big boost to the immune system.
7. Spinach - Like Kiwi, spinach is packed full of vitamin E…but this nutritional powerhouse doesn’t stop there, it has loads of beta carotene, folate and vitamins A, C and K – all vital nutrients for a healthy immune system.
8. Cruciferous Vegetables – such as kale, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage all contain large amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, and folic acid as well as phytochemicals and minerals that are all great immune boosters.
9. Berries – All berries are super rich in vitamin C and bioflavanoids that work as antioxidants which help to boost your immune system. Dark berries such as blueberries and blackberries are especially high in bioflavanoids. For optimal immune boosting effect include mixed berries in your diet rather than just one type.
10. Citrus – Not only oranges, but most citrus fruits are full to the brim with vitamin C which helps to increase the production of white blood cells that play a key part to fighting infections. Our bodies do not naturally produce or store vitamin C so it is essential that we get our daily dose for continued health and a strong immune system.
There is a lot of research to show the healing properties of juicing. Not only will juicing aid your immunity, the vitamins and minerals extracted in the process will facilitate strong bones, healthy skin and also help with a whole range of other health related issues. Taking a synthetic vitamin or mineral from the supermarket are laboratory simulations of the real deal, natural, plant based vitamins and minerals are more easily and wholly absorbed into the body meaning that you are receiving the goodness of these juices quicker and in a more natural state.
It doesn’t matter if your health is great or if you ailing form a cold or some other form of illness, we can all benefit from the fast delivery of nutrients to every tissue and organ of our bodies. Juicing really is nature’s fast food and when used daily in conjunction with a healthy diet it is quite simply one of the best ways to keep yourself and your family healthy!